1995-09-14 - Annonymous Web proxies.

Header Data

From: hallam@w3.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1e701d198dea19aabb1dcf633e3a898d9fcce52e46eae3f39b964c02390f8727
Message ID: <9509141754.AA30799@zorch.w3.org>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Sep 95 10:55:48 PDT

Raw message

From: hallam@w3.org
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 95 10:55:48 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Annonymous Web proxies.

There has been a lot of debate about setting up of annonymous Web proxies. There
are many thousand already deployed. Any Web proxy which does not keep logs is
effectively an annonymous Web proxy.

Just download the CERN server and run it.

http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Daemon/Status.html

The point about monitoring such sites is an apt one. Iwork under the assumption
that I am monitored because if I was a spook I would be monitoring me. Most of
the discoveries of security holes arrive at my door sooner rather than later. I
would have monitored the communist party for the same reason, it was one of the
the most obvious place for the soviets to attempt infiltration, the other being
the authoritarian establishment right.

	Phill

Thread