1995-09-12 - Re: Elliptic Curve Public Key Crypto available

Header Data

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
To: Mike Rosing <cryptech@Mars.mcs.com>
Message Hash: 22b2e751b75463289765648e25463d1e96c6532953b67e2f73d8627f8f4396a5
Message ID: <9509121658.AA00550@ch1d157nwk>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 10:03:01 PDT

Raw message

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 10:03:01 PDT
To: Mike Rosing <cryptech@Mars.mcs.com>
Subject: Re: Elliptic Curve Public Key Crypto available

>  Previous to the availabilty of 100 MHz processors this method of
>  public key crypto was ridculously slow.  The only versions were
>  laboratory curiosities implemented in ASIC hardware.  Code, if it
>  exists, is not in the public domain.

What about NeXT's Fast Elliptic Encryption (FEE)?  Their research guy,
Richard Crandall, came up with major speedups to elliptic curve encryption.
In fact, there was a simple cryptosystem that shipped as a demo with NeXTSTEP
2.0.  What was most interesting about this system was that it didn't store
any keys anywhere;  your public/private key pair was generated _on the fly_
from your passphrase every time you encrypted or decrypted....on a 25mhz
68040 too...   and it was fast!  It wasn't that great of an implementation
(you _really_ need a lot of bits of entropy in that passphrase, and you can't
change your passphrase without changing your PK), but it shows how fast
NeXT's speedups are.  And this was in 1990...

I'm not sure if the speedups are patented, but you could try a literature
search.  If it really is fast then it could mean good things for servers that
need to do a lot of enrcyption/decrption for interaction with clients.

andrew

Thread