1995-09-23 - Re: Seeds which depend on machine states

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: 22fd9dae2f2f70a1e7d76dbf0d610cd33e4a682b924d6bb6e3e342917a9c776b
Message ID: <199509231430.HAA23116@blob.best.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Sep 95 07:30:22 PDT

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 95 07:30:22 PDT
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: Seeds which depend on machine states

At 08:19 AM 9/22/95 -0700, Patrick Horgan wrote:
> That assumes that you have someway of measuring the timing to microsecond
> precision.  On most machines I've been on, if you get something time-
> stamped, even if there is a microsecond portion of the timestamp it's
> meaningless because it wasn't based on a timer with the required precision.

On Windows there is a timer with the required precision -- not microsecond
accuracy of course -- microsecond precision.  For our purposes the less
accuracy the better.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com