1995-09-20 - Re: FROM A FRIEND . . .

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Message Hash: 294b84512b0bb8de41719c15f299896d373eff785114888c4ce54db7308e0423
Message ID: <199509201648.MAA14624@panix.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 09:48:21 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 09:48:21 PDT
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Subject: Re: FROM A FRIEND . . .

>Updating Customers:
>Netscape will provide the fix for Export (40 bit) versions of Netscape
>Navigator later this week for downloading by customers on the Internet.
>Similarly, the
>Commerce Server patch for Export versions (40 bit) will be made available
>from our home page. Because downloading of 128 bit versions of the software
>is still not permitted by U.S. law, U.S. customers of Netscape Navigator,
>Netscape Navigator Personal Edition and Netscape Commerce Server using 128
>bit versions can request the replacement from Netscape for delivery through
>the regular mail.

Funny, MIT and MPJ and others manage to enable the downloading of
export-controlled software.  Also, wasn't there some sort of promise by
Netscape after we broke the 40-bit version to make the 128-bit version
available to US users under the Beta/freeware system?  What happened to that
plan?

DCF

"This encryption thing is a lot harder than it looks."

Thread