1995-09-17 - Re: “Hackers”– brief review and anecdote…

Header Data

From: hallam@w3.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 29f731528ebb6c250e9ff756e632081082bfa3c4d86cd8a8e6648e9242663ece
Message ID: <9509170429.AA05221@zorch.w3.org>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9509162002.A11836-0100000@echonyc>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-17 04:30:30 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Sep 95 21:30:30 PDT

Raw message

From: hallam@w3.org
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 95 21:30:30 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "Hackers"-- brief review and anecdote...

>I saw "Hackers" yesterday. It's not bad and its political sensibility is
>very cyberpunk. The ad campaign even uses the tag line, "Their only crime
>is curiosity."

I know companies who have spent millions cleaning up after a hacker breakin.
I've been up at two in the morning trying to stop a person with known mental
problems breaking into a site with some very dangerous computer controlled
machinery. I've dealt with people trying to get rich quick by defrauding others.
I've met some real evil bastards who simply want to ruin as many other peoples
lives as they possibly can, including people that thought they were their
friends.

To me teenagers who break into computer systems are not funny at all, its like
joyriding, its funny until someone gets hurt. I know people who have got hurt
real bad.

I like having privacy, part of the cost of that privacy is respecting the
privacy of others.

	Phill

Thread