1995-09-13 - Re: GAK/weak crypto rationale?

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2fd7462d28a6f33ad3949ff92b27b4a143d70e736a3f191bed6660fca33dd3a1
Message ID: <199509131244.IAA07887@pipe4.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 05:44:35 PDT

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 05:44:35 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: GAK/weak crypto rationale?

Responding to msg by futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex) on Wed, 13
Sep  2:11 AM

>Your paraphrase of Nelson's statement strikes me as
>remarkable. Doesn't "we  are not concerned with bad
>people using crypto among themselves" run  completely
>counter to all the hyperbole about terrorists planning
>OKC II  with PGP ?  Does anyone have an exact quotation
>?  At any rate, sign me up as  a "bad person"....

   "Bad people" is my euphemism for Mr. Nelson's "terrorist"
   -- which brought snorts from the audience.

   Yes, his statement about not being concerned with crypto
   use among terrorists was surprising.

   On a verbatim transcript: Mr. Ed Roback of NIST, the KE
   meet director, said that a complete transcript of the
   proceedings will not be published, only a summary report at
   some point, and then, after the September 15 session,
   some version will appear in the Federal Register for public
   comment.

   The summary report should appear eventually at the NIST web
   site -- the CSSPAB site has reports for prior KE sessions
   in the annual reports.

   See <http://csrc.ncsl.nist.gov/csspab/94-rpt.txt> for 1994,
   and similar for earlier years, on key escrow documents.

   To amplify what Tim said, the CSSPAB site has very
   interesting docs.

Thread