1995-09-07 - Re: Collection of personal info

Header Data

From: dmandl@panix.com
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 3bd16f94ce5748aa0acc3da1cf2c64bdf58d42411d4defbb38dc3a69cc5fa4e8
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950907142506.26768A-100000@panix.com>
Reply To: <199509071616.MAA04473@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-07 18:46:16 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 11:46:16 PDT

Raw message

From: dmandl@panix.com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 11:46:16 PDT
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: Collection of personal info

On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> That's what so nice about the nets.  You don't (won't) have to "live in the
> world" any more.  The creation of consentual halucinations (virtual worlds)
> allows you to "change the world" at will.

Goody.  In this virtual world, we can also abolish all taxes, remove
all restrictions on crypto use, or even get rid of the government
altogether.  I just hope I can find enough food there.

> And once the interface improves...

...I won't have to deal with the inefficiencies of real sex, live
music performances, or (non-virtual) world travel ever again.

> Actually, the creation of separate "spaces" that can only be entered with
> your (each person's) permission will have a big impact on life in the real
> world.

Yeah, it'll wipe it out.

I've got to tell you, Duncan, this kind of rhetoric pushes me over to
the luddite side more every day.

No flame intended--just one man's opinion.

   --Dave.

--
Dave Mandl
dmandl@panix.com