1995-09-25 - Re: Golden Coy Freeh

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Message Hash: 4c9ad4da5ab3526029a6e9497bfb5a9f22306799c3a4ca119645ba593bb3d662
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950925180515.4198A-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <199509251253.IAA07006@pipe4.nyc.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-25 22:09:18 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 15:09:18 PDT

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 15:09:18 PDT
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: Golden Coy Freeh

On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, John Young wrote:

>    The New York Times, January 25, 1995, p. D5.
>
>    The F.B.I. Sting Operation on Child Pornography Raises
>    Questions About Cryptography
>
>    By Peter H. Lewis
>

>    Last week, Mr. Freeh stressed that he preferred a voluntary
>    approach. But "if consensus is impossible" on the
>    encryption issue, he said, the F.B.I. might consider other
>    approaches.

I think it *tremendously* disturbing that the F.B.I. suddenly thinks
itself part of the Legislative branch, able to make law and dictate
policy to the rest of the country.

In fact there is a plague of this kind of thing, law making in the wrong
channels, as if the executive agencies in the United States were suddenly
able to implement their own law.

I think the F.B.I. needs to act like the Executive agency it is, advice
the president, and then generally shut up.

In short, like small children, the F.B.I. should be seen, and not heard.

Unfortunately, I believe the children in this case will be Citizens of
the United States.

>    [End]

---
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information

Thread