1995-09-20 - Re: Time release crypto

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@dorsai.dorsai.org>
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: 4f038f8e260121fbd2ed422f6fc6e20352e059c124afadf234c0a56da630c7c9
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950920113427.10619I-100000@dorsai.dorsai.org>
Reply To: <199509190930.CAA24047@ix.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-20 15:52:51 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 08:52:51 PDT

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@dorsai.dorsai.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 08:52:51 PDT
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Time release crypto

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995, Bill Stewart wrote:

> Technology can't solve the problem, only help a bit; algorithms
> aren't timebound.  In particular, true security depends on only
> being able to decrypt if you have the correct information, and there's
> no way to create decryption information in the future from
> encryption pieces you have now without being able to create the
> same information now.

Some of the following is probably idiotically obvious, but to prevent an
attack on such a time keeper, it could be tied in to the atomic clocks,
it could poll several PC's and check their time... any significant major
time change would be spotted immediatly...  that is you couldn't possibly
change the time on many machines at the same time without having physical
access to all the machines, etc.  Altering the time on an atomic clock
would be visible to just about everyone, etc.

This in now way would prevent an attacker from stealing the passphrase to
the time signing service, so it wouldn't prevent anyone from issuing
false keys.  But by using a hardware random generator the time keeping
service could know if it issued a key or not by storing all the keys it
issued previously.

This would achive the following: even if a theif stole the key, with
enough randomization, the stolen keys would show up as valid, but would
not show up in the time server's database - which should be written to
write-once-media such as worm, or CDROM, etc...  the stolen key would
generate valid time signatures, but would not be on the database, so it
would be clear it was forged.  To get around this, the bad guy would need
constant physical access to the time keeper, not just a single black bag
job.

This also means that this database must be publically searchable at all
times.  Perhaps the generator phassphrase should also be changed randomly
as time passes - but then these things too would have to be stored
somewhere before the time the key expires...

This is probably a bit far fetched, but the time keeper could be tied
into astronomical events - that is have it follow the path of planets,
star systems, etc. and derrive time that way and compare it with what
time it thinks it is.  This would require quite a lot of sensors and
extra hardware to track stars, planets, etc...   The bad guy would have
to do a lot more work to get around this...  basically what you want to
do is track some totally unalterable event to keep track of time, and we
presume the NSA cannot change the orbits of planets... yet. ;-)

Another method would be to set up a key breaking system which would
accept weaker keys - say 300 bits or so, and start breaking them.  This
wouldn't guarantee they wouldn't be broken before such and such time, and
wouldn't prevent anyone from running their own on faster hardware, or
building special hardware optimized to break it faster though...  but
without the private key, the only way to break it would be to brute force
it.

 + ^ + |  Ray Arachelian | Amerika: The land of the Freeh. |   _ |>
  \|/  |sunder@dorsai.org| Where day by day, yet another   |   \ |
<--+-->|                 | Constitutional right vanishes.  |    \|
  /|\  |    Just Say     |                                 |    <|\
 + v + | "No" to the NSA!| Jail the censor, not the author!|    <| n