1995-09-12 - Re: Brand e-cash implementation?

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4f0fb907c34809619df74bccda3f8a2e9a4a3b01e83fcfe248be23d0f1c5293a
Message ID: <199509120452.VAA14913@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 11 Sep 95 21:54:01 PDT

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 95 21:54:01 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Brand e-cash implementation?

From: Bryce Wilcox <wilcoxb@land.cs.Colorado.EDU>
> Could someone point me to Brand's electronic money protocol?  I have heard of
> it and would like to learn more.  If it is a discussable topic then please
> someone try to convince me that it is better than Chaum's or
> Chaum's-plus-anonymity-both-ways, or some other candidate for E-Money
> Protocol Which Has Official Cypherpunk Blessing.

<URL:http://ganges.cs.tcd.ie/mepeirce/Project/Mlists/brands.html> has a
good collection of earlier discussions on Brands' cash, as well as
pointers to Brands' work itself.

Brands' home page, <URL:http://www.cwi.nl/~brands> has a long list of
advantages which his system has over Chaum's original cash proposals,
mostly technical in terms of efficiency and provability.

Brands' and Chaum's systems have similar anonymity properties so I don't
see much to choose between them on political grounds.  Brands tends to
work in the context of off-line systems with "observer" chips which
prevent double spending.  But his protocols can be used in other payment
environments as well.

Hal Finney

Thread