1995-09-20 - Re: [NOISE] Unabomber - crypto-anarchist?!?

Header Data

From: Dave Evans <devans@hclb.demon.co.uk>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 532a95bbe9e925b89d5b858c923a28ed53a75ff3277ca19712c1cedef026e00c
Message ID: <811635300snx@hclb.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <ac84f1b9250210046a05@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-20 17:32:17 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 10:32:17 PDT

Raw message

From: Dave Evans <devans@hclb.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 10:32:17 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [NOISE] Unabomber - crypto-anarchist?!?

In article <ac84f1b9250210046a05@[205.199.118.202]> you write:

> But I also searched the text for mention of "crypto" and only came up with
> the fairly standard usage of "crypto leftist." My assumption then is that
> the meme of crypto anarchy has spread to the writer at that UK newspaper (I
> wonder if Brian Arthur has been talking to them?) and that he interpret's
> FR's screed in terms of crypto anarchy?

Partially true, as there was an article on the leader page in Monday's
printed edition entitled "You can't put the Internet genie back in the
bottle" by Boris Johnson.  It's probably on the ET by now, but I don't
know where.

Some quotes:

"But we make three  points in defense of progress.

"The first, which has already been made, is that you can't put the genie
back in the bottle.  Next, we set against the presence of this offensive
matter [porn] the way the Internet can liberate in its sheer prolixity.
We rejoice, for instance, at how some surfer exposed the claptrap of
L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology by publishing his "secret" texts, knowledge
of which had previously cost his disciples many thousands of pounds. We think
again of those women in the basements of Tehran, or any other place where
freedom of expression is denied.

"if there is no control over what people may read, then wherever there
are computers and telephone lines, totalitarianism will be that much
more precarious."

Thread