1995-09-19 - Crypto Sync Issue

Header Data

From: kelso@netcom.com (Tom Rollins)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 59358da7fd6c12f09ec890b4e827446b709a39cbf135e0077441dcf08fed42f3
Message ID: <199509191846.LAA24272@netcom4.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 11:49:36 PDT

Raw message

From: kelso@netcom.com (Tom Rollins)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 11:49:36 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Crypto Sync Issue

Hello,

I am interested in encrypting a SLIP link between my
PC (running Linux) and my Netcom shell account (running
SLIRP).

My question has to do with error conditions on the line.
If I drop a character or packet, the two sides will loose
crypto sync and result in things scrambled from then on.
The modems will fix most of the low level problems.
However, Murphy's Law has not been repealed. :)

Are there any standard methods to provide the SYNC between
the sender(encryption) and the receiver(decryption) on
an Async connection ?

Since Slip uses IP packets, I was planning on an encryption
of the data portion of the IP packets (leaving the header
alone).

Thanks,
Tom Rollins <kelso@netcom.com>

Thread