1995-09-13 - Re: cryptography eliminates lawyers?

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 5c2cf72f3ea0837397ec4fc9ed02424e7fd2bd1dac789fb2e3ba3a146bee65f7
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950913180804.6269A-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950907233749.7150A-100000@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-13 22:11:28 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 15:11:28 PDT

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 15:11:28 PDT
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: cryptography eliminates lawyers?

On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Black Unicorn wrote:
>
> > Telecoms will certainly break the professional
> > > monopoly of lawyers (and other professionals).
> >
> > This I don't.  How do you mean exactly?
>
> Licensing requires the ability to outlaw unlicensed transactions.
> Since the Net trumps censorship and allows consultations at a
> distance, it cracks licensing,

But won't clients insist on proper credentials in one form or another?
Doesn't the practicality and accountability of a centralized authority
(or several authorities) provide the best answer to this?  Who is going
to accept my signature promising that I did indeed get a law degree and
pass the bar?

I don't see how the net will eliminate the basic need for highly
qualified professionals and the proof that they have credentials.
Perhaps diplomas and such will be transfered into digital signatures for
the institutions, but I can't see how this "cracks" any "monopoly."
Perhaps the monopoly is shifted to those who have diplomas, rather than
those "licensed to practice" but so what?

> DCF

Thread