1995-09-21 - Persistent Services Needed

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5eb1797bcb030572ac4841659f82ca998147f5a457f7dfc00ae6eaca43a2d06f
Message ID: <ac86e99240021004ca42@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 10:04:39 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 10:04:39 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Persistent Services Needed

One of the problems we're facing with "Cypherpunks" services is that they
are catch-as-catch-can, or, bluntly, "flaky." Archive sites stop being
archives, remailers vanish overnight (*), and other experiments pop up and
then vanish with regularity.

(My favorite example, and one which always makes me smile, is the example
of a remailer in Europe a couple of years ago which became inoperative with
the message: "The foo remailer will stop operating tonight because I have
to take my laptop with me for the summer to Portugal.")

I'm not criticizing these folks. Rather, I'm just saying something pretty
obvious, that _persistence_ is important.

This probably means commercialization, or formalized business
relationships. With such persistent business set-ups, "the show must go
on."

Another reason for digital money.

--Tim May

Notice: With 1000 people on the Cypherpunks list, and many on other lists I
am on, nearly every article I write generates at least one question,
request for more information, dispute with my choice of words, etc. I have
been trying to respond to these, usually privately, but the burden has
become too much, and I no longer plan to respond to trivial or ephemeral
points. If you don't hear from me, this is why. Some requests for pointers
to information will still be handled, but I advise people to learn how to
use the archives and/or search tools.