1995-09-24 - Snake Oil (was: macworld crypto article)

Header Data

From: Deranged Mutant <rrothenb@ic.sunysb.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (C’Punk List)
Message Hash: 65f9db8fcfd6ea55d80c7d72af67a9b4cf12e00318a971acbb0efcdbe64e89ee
Message ID: <199509242327.TAA06477@libws4.ic.sunysb.edu>
Reply To: <v01530501ac8b23d65a53@[166.84.250.21]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-24 23:28:14 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 24 Sep 95 16:28:14 PDT

Raw message

From: Deranged Mutant <rrothenb@ic.sunysb.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 95 16:28:14 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (C'Punk List)
Subject: Snake Oil (was: macworld crypto article)

Dave Mandl wrote about some lame Mac crypto thing...
[..]
> Yup, pretty amazing.  I only skimmed the article, but I believe that out of
> all the programs he tried, there was only one whose crypto he couldn't
> crack.  I found it all a little hard to believe.  I mean, even if they used
> the most obsolete algorithm, wouldn't you have to know _something_ about
> cryptanalysis to crack it?  Are these vendors just putting a "this file is
> locked with this such and such a password" string at the front of the file,
> or what?

[..]

Sounds like it's time for a Snake-Oil FAQ...

Rob

Thread