1995-09-24 - Re: Netscape for Linux?

Header Data

From: bret@bjohns.win.net (Bret A. Johnson)
To: paquin@netscape.com (Tom Paquin)
Message Hash: 69486ef57974ecdb9a5e0b1a36fabbdc7cfd554b1ceb68bd878ba6206d27f9c9
Message ID: <1895@bjohns.win.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 24 Sep 95 16:32:56 PDT

Raw message

From: bret@bjohns.win.net (Bret A. Johnson)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 95 16:32:56 PDT
To: paquin@netscape.com (Tom Paquin)
Subject: Re: Netscape for Linux?

>> > And the sad part is that now that they have announced that they are
>> > dropping their unofficial Linux support,
>>
>> I have no current plans to alter our treatment of Linux.  It is not now,
>> nor has it ever been, a supported platform.  We do build for it,
>> and some people are happy about that.
>>
>> I have not constructed a business case which would cause Netscape
>> to begin support for Linux versions of the Navigator.  Right now, I'm
>> not sure that making a point of this would do what you want.
>
>I'll say some people are happy about it.
>
>You just recently turned down an order for 230 copies of the netscape
>navigator for Linux, and as you folks aren't making any money, you can
>only wonder why.
>
>You have also turned numerous other attempts by varionus people to buy
>both quantities of navigaors and server software for Linux.
>
>It seems to me that you folks are going out of your way to deny the
>fact that the Linux market exists. I think that its because you are
>embarassed that all these people with a $20 operating system are
>throwing money at you while all the folks with $10K operating systems
>aren't talking to you at all.

That is ok! I just called there "Sales" dept. and asked for some info.
to be sent to me on there serevers.  I got 5 copies of what is on the
WEB page. I could have done that.  I asked him for prices and told him
this was to present to a group of Marketing and Buss. type for a
community system to bring Internet access to a whole county that does
not have it now..

BTW, the system will be running on Suns and SGI's.....

Oh well..

I thought they would do better than this. So far, there no better then
sun at customer service...

Thread