1995-09-22 - Re: Another Netscape Bug (and possible security hole)

Header Data

From: Laurent Demailly <dl@hplyot.obspm.fr>
To: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
Message Hash: 6b45f63609687041fcfd430ec81fb69596b838d8e78ea552b5522b0e0fdcd478
Message ID: <9509221014.AA18627@hplyot.obspm.fr>
Reply To: <199509220612.CAA11441@clark.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-22 10:15:46 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 03:15:46 PDT

Raw message

From: Laurent Demailly <dl@hplyot.obspm.fr>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 03:15:46 PDT
To: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
Subject: Re: Another Netscape Bug (and possible security hole)

Ray Cromwell writes:

 > I've found a Netscape bug which I suspect is a buffer overflow and
 > may have the potential for serious damage. If it is an overflow bug,
 > then it may be possible to infect every computer which accesses a web
 > page with Netscape. To see the bug, create an html file containing
 > the following:
[...]
The sortest host length I've found to cause seg fault is 356 (yes, and
not 256, 256+100 if you prefer :))
You can have a look at http://hplyot.obspm.fr/~dl/netscapesec/ for a
'demo' (click to crash)

dl
--
Laurent Demailly * http://hplyot.obspm.fr/~dl/ * Linux|PGP|Gnu|Tcl|...  Freedom
Prime#1: cent cinq mille cent cinq milliards cent cinq mille cent soixante sept

Legion of Doom SEAL Team 6 Cocaine class struggle AK-47 jihad
fissionable

Thread