1995-09-21 - Re: FROM A FRIEND . . .

Header Data

From: iagoldbe@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ian Goldberg)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 70cb52f773d7af4d4d7c2fbc1cffeab61d164b1c7cf5421a8cdc2c2f6c63e0e3
Message ID: <43qvn4$mm@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Reply To: <199509201648.MAA14624@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-21 06:12:00 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 23:12:00 PDT

Raw message

From: iagoldbe@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ian Goldberg)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 23:12:00 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FROM A FRIEND . . .

In article <43qrhf$gd5@tera.mcom.com>,
Jeff Weinstein <jsw@neon.netscape.com> wrote:
>  I think that the general opinion of engineers and management here at
>Netscape is that it would be A Really Good Thing to have our US-only
>128+ bit version of Netscape Navigator available for download by US
>citizens and others who are not legally prohibited from using it.

Who _is_ legally prohibited from using it?  I think there are some countries
where the very use of crypto is illegal (could someone please list them?),
but who else?

There are some people that may be legally prohibited from _obtaining_ it
from a US site (ITAR yadda), but even so, if JRFurriner downloads
crypto from company C's site in the US, who's guilty of ITAR-violation?
Company C for making it available, or JRF for initiating the action
that caused the bits to be send out of the country?

   - Ian "my, I seem to be posting a lot tonight"

Thread