1995-09-21 - RE: NETSCAPE TO PATCH SHAREWARE VERSION

Header Data

From: anon-remailer@utopia.hacktic.nl (Anon-remailer@utopia.hacktic.nl)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 73ce5d1d6d8832d4423fc9b231b1abc02cf330894d8fc580252ea9f4cd082654
Message ID: <9509201550426518@ci.diamond-bar.ca.us>
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 17:27:34 PDT

Raw message

From: anon-remailer@utopia.hacktic.nl (Anon-remailer@utopia.hacktic.nl)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 17:27:34 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: NETSCAPE TO PATCH SHAREWARE VERSION

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 23:00:18 +0200
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
From: anon-remailer@utopia.hacktic.nl (Anonymous)

>| Netscape said it received word last week that the State Department had
>| cleared that version for release on the Net, but only within the U.S.,
>| owing to current export laws banning the export of encryption schemes
>| stronger than 40 bits.  THe company could provide no details by press
>| time on how it would ensure that the 128-bit version wouldn't leak beyond
>| U.S. borders.
>
>Ok, any bet on how long it will take?

It's already been exported.  Evidently, one of those who bought the commercial

I note the site removed it, however, probably because Netscape Comm. Inc. reque

Thread