1995-09-19 - Hurricane Luis in Anguilla / Cellphone Antenna

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7b474477e96e58b04f989c3a0225040360e7423be1808edecb2723ba1903432b
Message ID: <v02120d00ac83e18d8f6f@[199.0.65.105]>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Sep 95 20:15:33 PDT

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 95 20:15:33 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Hurricane Luis in Anguilla / Cellphone Antenna

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 13:24:33 +24000
From: Vincent Cate <vince@offshore.com.ai>
To: Steve Roberts <wordy@qualcomm.com>
cc: Technomads <technomads@UCSD.EDU>

Hurricane Luis took Anguilla apart.  The three utility polls right near my
house all blew down.  My house, computers, etc are all fine.

Nobody was killed in Anguilla, but in St Marten (5 miles away) it seems
there were many people killed.  They have a lot of poor people there
and also a lot of people used to live in boats.  More than 1,000 of
about  1,400 boats sank.

They eye went right over Anguilla.  For awhile it was calm enough that
everyone went outside to stretch and say hi to everyone.  Overall it
took about 4 days to pass.

It has been nice to have solar pannels, batteries, an interter, etc. I did
not have a cellphone, but I do now.

And now that I have one I am really interested in the directional antenna
that might let me reach other islands - in particular the US Virgin
islands where long distance rates are $0.10/min at night with sprint
instead of the $2/min that we pay here in Anguilla.  Does anyone know
where I can order a directional cellphone antenna (boat antenna) good for
100 miles?

  --  Vince
--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
Shipwright Development Corporation, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131
USA (617) 323-7923
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell

Thread