1995-09-02 - Re: Phil Zimmermann/Amnesty International?

Header Data

From: Jim Gillogly <jim@acm.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7db6265f9815ff25c2102bd7044cf169d899e7a08f8530707ea6a2e60fbbb87b
Message ID: <199509021737.KAA23763@mycroft.rand.org>
Reply To: <199509021658.MAA29224@frankenstein.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-02 17:37:25 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Sep 95 10:37:25 PDT

Raw message

From: Jim Gillogly <jim@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 95 10:37:25 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Phil Zimmermann/Amnesty International?

Regarding the stature of limitations date on PRZ,

> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
>                      The offense in question took place on or before
> September 8, 1992, and the statute of limitations is, to my knowledge,
> three years. Even if it were four years, it would have to be September
> 8th of that year.  Branko Lankester announced availability of PGP 2.0
> on Mon, 7 Sep 1992 at about 20:22 GMT, so since the allegation is that
> he exported PGP Version 1.0 to the team that developed PGP 2.0
> overseas, any export that Phil performed would have of necessity to
> have taken place before then.

PGP 1.0 was available in at least Finland and Australia by 28 Aug 91,
according to an ftp list John Gilmore posted on that date.  However, the
first available date is presumably not as important as the most recent
offense, and I haven't seen which specific allegations the gov't is
investigating.

	Jim Gillogly
	11 Halimath S.R. 1995, 17:35

Thread