1995-09-24 - Piggybacking

Header Data

From: lethin@ai.mit.edu (Rich Lethin)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7dfdb1b7fae3cf86359286f4cad641bed46fac80580d2a4b244c8dc2040d522a
Message ID: <199509242044.QAA15210@grape-nuts.ai.mit.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 24 Sep 95 13:45:04 PDT

Raw message

From: lethin@ai.mit.edu (Rich Lethin)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 95 13:45:04 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Piggybacking

In article <444bp8$sd4@life.ai.mit.edu> Adam writes:
>	Naturally, this works with programs other than Quicken.

By leveraging on the popularity of Quicken and people's insecurities
about their financial data cypherpunks might be able to spread PGP and
SecureDrive technology more rapidly.

If I were a marketing manager at a startup selling SecureDrive, for
example, I'd suggest trying to exploit the above by selling my product
as "QuickxxSecure" which would install after Quicken, make the secure
drive, move quicken there, etc.  It would then sell in a box with a
graphical design (e.g. white stripe on red box, to blend nicely with
Intuit's red on white) that Egghead would want to put it on the shelf
right next to Quicken.

Cypherpunks with a crypto-anarchic agenda might "package" shareware in
a way that would exploit the same principles.  Surely, a bigger market
than people using EMACS RMAIL.

---
Concurrent VLSI Arch. Group     545 Technology Sq., Rm. 610
MIT AI Lab                      Cambridge, MA 02139 (617)-253-0972

Thread