1995-09-06 - RE: Equinox/cypherpunks/www

Header Data

From: “James A. Tunnicliffe” <tunny@Inference.COM>
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 899d24765e1e50b7bacec8eca6c32f64b4d48b53843460ab080745871a2990ab
Message ID: <304DB3A8@smtp-pc>
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 07:49:18 PDT

Raw message

From: "James A. Tunnicliffe" <tunny@Inference.COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 07:49:18 PDT
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: Equinox/cypherpunks/www

http://www.cityscape.co.uk/channel4/big_bytes/cybersecrecy/cyber000.html

> - Andy

Thanks for the pointer.  I was reading through their nicely
organized gentle introduction to basic concepts, when I nearly
sprayed coffee all over my monitor from laughing so hard at
the following gaffe:

"...most modern codes rely on the intractable mathematical
problem of 'factorisation'. This is the process of trying to
find the two prime factors that, multiplied together, would
give you a third prime number. [JT: Yes, I'd call that an
intractable problem, all right.] For example, if you take
3337 - a prime number (i.e. a number that has precisely two
divisors) - how would you find its two prime factors? (They
are, in fact, 47 and 71.)"

A little unclear on that "prime" thing, it sounds like... :-)

 - Tunny
James A. Tunnicliffe   | WWWeb: http://www.inference.com/~tunny
Inference Corporation  | PGP Fingerprint:   CA 23 E2 F3 AC 2D 0C 77
tunny@Inference.com    | <--finger for key  36 07 D9 33 3D 32 53 9C