1995-09-27 - Re: alpha.c2.org nymserver

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8d0aac52fd2d6c8960e5febe0df6983c9870d00e8602ac7d9951c1df92873d29
Message ID: <199509272222.PAA13596@ix7.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Sep 95 15:23:36 PDT

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 95 15:23:36 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: alpha.c2.org nymserver

>> Also, I am having a LOT of grief trying to get the alpha.c2.org  remailer to
>> work for me... (yes, I have the help files)
>> Could someone walk me through it?
>
>You mean the nym server at alpha.c2.org? It seems to have about a 1 week
>delay on it...
>
>Be sure the reply block that you give it is your own, and that you tell
>alpha which remailer the reply block goes to.

If you get a copy of the latest Private Idaho beta, it's got a convenient set
of user interfaces for using the nymservers, as well as for PGP, remailers, etc.
(Runs on Windows, so some of you may not find it all _that_ convenient :-)
PI works with either vanilla PGP or ViaCrypt.
The first step is to get the PGP key for alias@alpha.c2.org installed in your
key ring, and update PI's key tables (a menu item).  Then choose the "Create
a nym"
menu item and follow all the dialog boxes.  I found it a little confusing at
first,
since I didn't realize the nymserver just uses secret-key encryption and not
public-key, so you don't need to create a public-key-pair to do it - the only
PGP involved is encrypting the message sent to the nymserver.

So you can now send mail to the _highly_ anonymous wcs@alpha.c2.org :-)
#---
# Bill Stewart, Freelance Information Architect, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# Phone +1-510-247-0664 Pager/Voicemail 1-408-787-1281
#---

Thread