1995-09-07 - Re: Are booby-trapped computers legal?

Header Data

From: alt@iquest.net (Al Thompson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 92eb17f55c6fe14be08baec1c4cc3fc4b4a2b7d1b78302d6a9c85de1044d07c9
Message ID: <m0sqaLG-00061XC@dorite1.iquest.net>
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 23:21:56 PDT

Raw message

From: alt@iquest.net (Al Thompson)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 23:21:56 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Are booby-trapped computers legal?

At 03:38 PM 9/6/95 -0400, hallam@w3.org wrote:

>People who go round drawing parallels to gun ownership and cryptography
>ownership are simply playing into the governments hands.

Which of our rights would you have us surrender so as to not play into the
government's hands?

>Cryptography has net  benefits to society.

You would have a hard time proving that cryptography has more, or
different "net benefits to society" than gun ownership does.

>Most advocates of gun ownership tend to convince me of
>little more than they are a danger to society. Regardless of their case
they are
>the biggest argument for gun control, and therfore poor advocates of their
>cause.

Statists say the same thing about crypto-advocates.  Talking about
keeping secrets, and discussing which methods are uncrackable
by the government is not what a statist wants to hear - and neither
is talk about the real reason behind the 2nd Amendment.

Thread