1995-09-22 - Re: Seeds which depend on machine states

Header Data

From: patrick@Verity.COM (Patrick Horgan)
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: 957de4f45d888edd94cbe688592282889b8465337e6616aa14d317b954e8bb0d
Message ID: <9509221519.AA19310@cantina.verity.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 08:23:07 PDT

Raw message

From: patrick@Verity.COM (Patrick Horgan)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 08:23:07 PDT
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: Seeds which depend on machine states

> Miguel Diaz writes:
> > It is my suspicion that seeds which depend on machine
> > states(ie state of your computer at a specific instance of
> > time) would always be subject to scrutiny and de-cryption.
> > As long as the software used to encrypt is not self-modifying,
> > the machine state can (through careful manipulation involving
> > temperature, clocks, processes etc)always be replicated and
> > fixed to an acceptable degree.
>
> Try getting a human to type with the same timing, to microsecond
> precision, the same way twice.

That assumes that you have someway of measuring the timing to microsecond
precision.  On most machines I've been on, if you get something time-
stamped, even if there is a microsecond portion of the timestamp it's
meaningless because it wasn't based on a timer with the required precision.
If a timer can only resolve milliseconds, the microseconds don't have any
meaning.

Patrick
  /  These opinions are mine, and not Verity's (except by coincidence;).  \
 |  Patrick J. Horgan         Verity Inc.                 \\    Have       |
 |  patrick@verity.com        1550 Plymouth Street         \\  _ Sword     |
 |  Phone : (415)960-7600     Mountain View                 \\/    Will    |
 |  FAX   : (415)960-7750     California 94303             _/\\     Travel |

Thread