1995-09-13 - Re: CYPHERPUNK considered harmful.

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 9c92ae4c925ddb42c443662870614830a6aa4b105c12c53ac0c1c97bf150f4cd
Message ID: <199509131926.PAA14458@panix.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 12:27:18 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 12:27:18 PDT
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: CYPHERPUNK considered harmful.

At 10:57 AM 9/13/95 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>While I have had some qualms about the name, on balance I think it has been
>good for us. After all, it's not as if _other_ groups don't already exist!
>In particular, the British branch of Cypherpunks disliked the name
>"Cypherpunks" so much that they used a different name for themselves, the
>"U.K. Crypto Privacy Association." It doesn't seem to exist anymore, for
>whatever reasons. But the name may have been a factor, at least.

Note too that Brits differ from Americans.  "Wired" worked well here from
the beginning but has had problems there.  Differing national characteristics.

DCF

"Let's all just agree to disagree.  My system can thrive with widespread
disagreement among rabid individualists --- can yours?"

Thread