1995-09-20 - Re: NSA and Netscape Crack

Header Data

From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9e6efebe8b4c7c121db755e8cabcb9283bd8bb1a7f097c0cb81d641714ab17e7
Message ID: <ac85fa9f010210046fb1@DialupEudora>
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 09:43:46 PDT

Raw message

From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 09:43:46 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: NSA and Netscape Crack

At 3:46 PM 9/19/95, Jim Ray wrote:
>I don't expect to know NSA's specific brute-force capability, but
>does anyone know if the NSA has *ever* found a glaring weakness in
>software and then told its author(s) or owner(s) about it? Do "we"
>perform the "COMSEC" role Tim was speaking of better than the NSA?
>JMR
Once upon a time NSA would find weeknesses in friends' crypto systems and
tell them about it -- depending, of course, on the situation. It was a
reciprocal practice. We don't know that NSA didn't tell Netscape.

Thread