1995-09-12 - Re: Scientology tries to break PGP - and

Header Data

From: keelings@wu1.wl.aecl.ca (S. Keeling)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a0ca8ac9e4f62fa7d8958b5fca863c67f49260e99a6a33c8085b350fc6ffe00d
Message ID: <9509121731.AA10786@wu1.wl.aecl.ca>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 13:17:31 PDT

Raw message

From: keelings@wu1.wl.aecl.ca (S. Keeling)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 13:17:31 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Scientology tries to break PGP - and

Incoming from Henry W. Farkas:

[snip]
> When the safety is finally removed from the gun at your head (sorry for
> the drama) you hand over your alternate secret key.  If decrypted with the
> "alternate" or "fake" secret key, the encrypted file is wiped until it
> reaches a marker; the remainder of the file is displayed.  If you use your
> "primary" or "real key", the extraneous text is simply stripped.

	I would just like to point out that, when a LEA comes to you
to get at the contents of your computer, (s)he is not going to
patiently wait while your system wipes the offending evidence off your
hard disk.  The first thing they do is make a copy of everything, so
they can work from the copy.  Besides, you do have backup tapes laying
around all over the place, don't you?

--

 "Remember, obsolescence (Win95) isn't an accident;  it's an art form!"
   keelings@wu1.wl.aecl.ca       s. keeling,   aecl - whiteshell labs

Thread