1995-09-22 - Netscape for Linux

Header Data

From: Jeff Simmons <jsimmons@goblin.punk.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a2f132583057968178db489ac3a8d54c266e93f57ecac8d1503e93cadb70d431
Message ID: <199509221917.MAA07561@goblin.punk.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 12:21:44 PDT

Raw message

From: Jeff Simmons <jsimmons@goblin.punk.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 12:21:44 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Netscape for Linux

Found this on Comp.os.linux.misc - hope it's true:

Tobias Engel <s120808@fb1.fhtw-berlin.de> writes:

>I looked at the Data Sheet-Page for the Netscape Navigator 2.0 today (http://home.netscape.com/comprod/products/navigator/version_2.0/datasheet.html).
>There is a "Supported Platforms"-List at the end of the Page. For Unix it
>says:
>---
>Digital Equipment Corp. Alpha (OSF/1 2.0)
>Hewlett-Packard 700-series (HP-UX 9.03)
>IBM RS/6000 AIX 3.2
>Silicon Graphics (IRIX 5.2)
>Sun SPARC (Solaris 2.4, SunOS 4.1.3)
>386/486/Pentium (BSDI)
>---

>So, where is Linux???

In comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x Jamie Zawinski <jwz@netscape.com>
said that there *will* be a 2.0 version for Linux.  He also explained
why Linux isn't listed and why Netscape will tell you that there
will not be a supported version of Netscape for Linux.
This is a copy of that article, which is worth reposting here, I think,
because of the large threads about this subjects:

From: Jamie Zawinski <jwz@netscape.com>
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x
Subject: Re: Netscape 2.0 for Linux
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 16:11:19 -0700

Marco Trincardi wrote:

> There will be a Linux version of the new upcoming Netscape 2.0 ???
> At Netscape HomePage i didnt find usefull info.

And I replied:

> Yes, once 2.0 is released (please don't ask me when) it will be
> available for all platforms on which 1.1 is available.

Since then, it would seem that some folks have called our customer
support lines and gotten a seemingly different answer, so allow me to
clarify:

When someone in customer support tells you "we will not be supporting
Linux in Netscape 2.0," they're right: but that's because we didn't
support it in 1.0 or 1.1 either.  "Support" means we sell the software,
and you can buy a support contract.  This is not, and has never been the
case for Linux.  You have never been able to get a *supported* version
of Netscape Navigator for Linux.  We have no Linux *product*; our sales
and support folks don't deal with it in any way, and never have.

However, there has been an unsupported educational/evaluation version
available for that platform, and this will also be the case for 2.0.

--
Jamie Zawinski    jwz@netscape.com   http://www.netscape.com/people/jwz/

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>