1995-09-03 - Re: SSLRef (SSLtelnet)

Header Data

From: Bob Snyder <rsnyder@janet.advsys.com>
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Message Hash: a5612bb8186ea4d174f4c00e7237c2ac7b5ac19b3874b50b6836b84c69210782
Message ID: <199509032018.QAA03382@janet.advsys.com>
Reply To: <199509031948.MAA17974@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-03 20:17:32 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Sep 95 13:17:32 PDT

Raw message

From: Bob Snyder <rsnyder@janet.advsys.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 95 13:17:32 PDT
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Subject: Re: SSLRef (SSLtelnet)

hfinney@shell.portal.com said:
> Does anyone have an idea for a way to acquire a certificate
> acceptable to Netscape, perhaps one with a "broken key", that could
> be used for this purpose?

RSA will give out certificates to individuals; Apple includes a coupon for a
free one with their MacOS 7.5 (and 7 Pro) release.  There's a program for the
Mac (RIPEM Mac) that will convert the keys returned into RIPEM usable
PEM-format keys.  Isn't that what SSL uses?

The only question is what CAs are supported by the browser....  I think the
Apple keys are under RSA's Unaffiliated User CA...

If there's interest, I'll look further into this.

Bob

Thread