1995-09-22 - Re: YET ANOTHER BAD NETSCAPE HOLE!

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
Message Hash: aa4433a6da2b7562a992accd38c713e1e175f3dad4ef7af86e36cb3f0ff2e2d8
Message ID: <199509221247.IAA03798@frankenstein.piermont.com>
Reply To: <199509220830.EAA13828@clark.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-22 12:48:01 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 05:48:01 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 05:48:01 PDT
To: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
Subject: Re: YET ANOTHER BAD NETSCAPE HOLE!

Its hardly suprising to me. Look at the link list on any dynamically
linked version of netscape and you'll see lots of calls that look very
suspicious.

I keep telling people this sort of thing and no one at Netscape
listens, although I believe that we may have made a couple of converts
in the firm now.

Perry

Ray Cromwell writes:

> > On the bright side, mailto: hyperlinks containing extra-long domain names
> > seem to be handled comparatively safely in both Netscape and Mosaic.
> > (Perhaps they just have longer buffers ? ;)
>
>   Good question. My guess is, Netscape doesn't do any processing on the
> mailto: hyperlink at all, but merely passes it to a real mail delivery
> agent like Sendmail (or it uses MAPI under Win'95). Which begs
> the question, if Netscape is executing an external delivery agent,
> there may be the possiblity of sneaking an attack in there and getting
> the shell to execute something.
>
> Hmm, let me try something.
>

> WOW!! Unbelievable! Stop the presses! I Can't believe no one ever discovered
> this before! Try a page with the following URL
>
>  test
>
> Muahaha! Yet another security hole! Clicking on this mailto brings up
> an xterm on my machine!  Simply change the xterm& to "rm -rf /" and
> bingo!
>

> Sheesh. I better stop before I am on Netscape's most hated list.
>

> -Ray

Thread