1995-09-20 - Re: “Hackers”– brief review and anecdote…

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Rosenberg” <hal9001@panix.com>
To: Steven Levy <steven@echonyc.com>
Message Hash: ae603771923a637e65e83a1caf56685d3806603335dc0ab0ce9681dd467f50b3
Message ID: <v02130508ac84c085cc65@[166.84.254.3]>
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 20:56:36 PDT

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Rosenberg" <hal9001@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 20:56:36 PDT
To: Steven Levy <steven@echonyc.com>
Subject: Re: "Hackers"-- brief review and anecdote...

At 09:51 9/18/95, Steven Levy wrote:
>No chance. The problem for me isn't that someone wanted to call a movie
>Hackers but that it causes confusion in that for eleven years there has
>been a preexisiting work by that name.  There is a novelization of the
>screenplay now in paperback, so when if a friend recommends that you buy
>Hackers, you'll probably buy that one. (especially since Dell is
>determined to do as little as possible for my own book).

Normally when there can be confusion between a movie title and an existent
book title (in that the movie could be a dramatization of the book based on
general subject matter), the movie gets title clearance, pays a token
release fee to the book's author, and puts up a title clearance credit in
the movie credits. For an example of this, check out Bladerunner (based on
"Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep?" not "Bladerunner" [which was by a
different author]) credits where the prior uses of the title were
mentioned.

Thread