1995-09-17 - Re: “Hackers”– brief review and anecdote…

Header Data

From: pcw@access.digex.net (Peter Wayner)
To: Steven Levy <steven@echonyc.com>
Message Hash: b6b10081dab289cf16bb6a2d1da0a162af65d62ada6a14c503bfa59ad2ffd6e1
Message ID: <ac81f7431f02100449e3@[199.125.128.5]>
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Sep 95 16:30:31 PDT

Raw message

From: pcw@access.digex.net (Peter Wayner)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 95 16:30:31 PDT
To: Steven Levy <steven@echonyc.com>
Subject: Re: "Hackers"-- brief review and anecdote...

>>I saw "Hackers" yesterday. It's not bad and its political sensibility is
>>very cyberpunk. The ad campaign even uses the tag line, "Their only crime
>>is curiosity."
>
>It may not be a crime, but it's not nice to steal a title.

Well, what do you think of my latest predicament. My first book, "Agents
Unleashed" will be retitled "Agents At Large" because SAMS, a division of
Viacom, considers any title ending with the word "unleashed" to be an
infringement of their tradedress. They came up with enough legal
mumbo-jumbo about trademark to scare my publisher into changing it.

-Peter

Thread