1995-09-20 - Re: netscape’s response

Header Data

From: “Pat Farrell” <pfarrell@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bdca4691e629ee275185bce97e56f9b52d4bb3f9597e2b660cf12e2567300068
Message ID: <29391.pfarrell@netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 05:11:07 PDT

Raw message

From: "Pat Farrell" <pfarrell@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 05:11:07 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: netscape's response

  "Jeff Weinstein" <jsw@netscape.com>  writes:

> The issue is that any statement that only mentions the 1 minute figure
> is only stating part of the story, just as a statement giving a figure
> of several hours is only mentioning a part of the story.  All of the
> news articles I've seen (not an exhaustive sample) have only mentioned
> the 1 minute number, which only really effects a relatively small
> number of our customers.

The Washington Post ran an article today in the Business section. Its
byline said Elizabeth Corcoran.  It refered to the four hour attack figure.
It appeared to be mostly a rewrite of the Netscape press release -- nearly
no quotes, no quoted local sources (TIS, Denning, etc.)

I expect that many papers that are far from Silicon Valley will
print it with a similar spin.

Pat

Pat Farrell    Grad Student      http://www.isse.gmu.edu/students/pfarrell
Info. Systems & Software Engineering, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
PGP key available on homepage               #include <standard.disclaimer>

Thread