1995-09-22 - Was the Netscape Flaw Over-Publicized?

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c1502f0597c9304c4ead9735a4dde3b2348926769315725f7bf24ef179ee7eb3
Message ID: <ac8774ca4b0210047fa5@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 19:56:27 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 19:56:27 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Was the Netscape Flaw Over-Publicized?

At 4:51 PM 9/21/95, Joe Tardo wrote:

>I can really empathize with what the developers at Netscape must be going
>through, but the 'social good' of raising security flaws to the level of the
>front page of the NYT is hard to deny.  Rather than saying "security through
>obscurity is bad" you can point to a precedent of the consequences of being
>found out.

Furthermore, Ian Goldberg's message on Sunday night was a factual,
unsensationalized report of something he and Wagner discovered. The very
essence of objective reporting, I thought.

That so many reporters found it a newsworthy, even headline-worthy, story
is related to other factors.

--Tim May

Notice: Don't expect me to reply to trivial questions and complaints.