1995-09-06 - Re: Collection of personal info

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
To: Rob Lowry <robl@on-ramp.ior.com>
Message Hash: d27e00d483873879f607fc8f3a26e27b1b0d46eac307598a61e6e6552f1e92cc
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950906194621.9114A-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.950906163311.6403B-100000@on-ramp.ior.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-06 23:52:17 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 16:52:17 PDT

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 16:52:17 PDT
To: Rob Lowry <robl@on-ramp.ior.com>
Subject: Re: Collection of personal info

On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Rob Lowry wrote:

> > Rob, I have entered this posting of yours into the "BlackNet Dossier
> > Service" I operate.
>
> At least you notified me.. :) Something the TRW crew or others like them
> do not do.
>

> > If someone doesn't want their postings going into my 220 megabyte file of
> > postings, they shouldn't send them to me. Or they should adopt a digital
> > pseudonym, unlinkable to their True Name or any other nyms they may have.
>
> This is true.. I could adopt a nym, such as I use on my BBS, or when I am
> doing other stuff on the net.. but it is difficult at best to get a new
> set of credit cards, ID and so on with a new name/alias and still
> maintain your own name.

In fact it's not difficult.  It's quite simple to estlablish new identity
for the individual willing to risk the charges and consequences of
exposure.  The basic impediment is time.  Good credit doesn't come
overnight.  The second impediment is tax evasion- which is less than
justifiable in the United States on the grounds of privacy.  If you're
willing to be patient, and pay taxes on more than one name, its easy to
maintain several identities.

> If it were possible to have an alias in real
> life, as easy as it is to get one on the 'net that is, then I would most
> certainly do so..

Which tells me how serious you really are about your privacy.  You have
made a decision here about how much trouble privacy is worth to you,
which is "not much."

I hear people bitch about privacy endlessly.  Privacy helps those who
help themselves to privacy.  I think Mr. May was precisely correct in saying
that it is so much easier and simpler for one to rely on self privacy
insurance rather than government privacy insurance.

> 'Frothmonger' <g>

Thread