1995-09-07 - Re: What is truth?

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d50ff49d274d1a60dd7a2cde87f8de415d1cfbfe3d7334b29fe193892ac88af0
Message ID: <199509071356.GAA01805@blob.best.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 06:57:16 PDT

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 06:57:16 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: What is truth?

Crypto relevance:  Absolutely none:

At 10:57 PM 9/6/95 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:
> If you want more information on my views about truth, check out
> the work on "evolutionary epistemology," especially the writings
> of William Bartley and Karl Popper.

Popper went off the deep end because he tried to justify science
without relying on the principle of induction, or its equivalent,
Bayesian probability.

A hopeless endeavor, like the attempt of the behaviorists
to describe behavior without reference to intention, desire,
and knowledge.

His reasoning leads logically to the polylogism of the
fascists, an outcome he imagines he avoided, but in fact
he merely rephrased in language that superficially sounds
more favorable to science.

Bayesian probability leads us to the conclusion that some
scientific theories have a probability of truth that is
exponentially close to unity.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com