1995-09-22 - Re: Crypto Sync Issue

Header Data

From: ghio@utopia.hacktic.nl (Matthew Ghio)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e19f6ac8ba98bb9452c9d3b66b593948b06fb0b31cf1bd27b97396efaac86399
Message ID: <m0swC6B-0012rZC@myriad>
Reply To: <199509191846.LAA24272@netcom4.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-22 17:59:07 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 10:59:07 PDT

Raw message

From: ghio@utopia.hacktic.nl (Matthew Ghio)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 10:59:07 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Crypto Sync Issue

Tom Rollins <kelso@netcom.com> wrote:

> I am interested in encrypting a SLIP link between my
> PC (running Linux) and my Netcom shell account (running
> SLIRP).
>
> My question has to do with error conditions on the line.
> If I drop a character or packet, the two sides will loose
> crypto sync and result in things scrambled from then on.
> The modems will fix most of the low level problems.
> However, Murphy's Law has not been repealed. :)
>
> Are there any standard methods to provide the SYNC between
> the sender(encryption) and the receiver(decryption) on
> an Async connection ?
>
> Since Slip uses IP packets, I was planning on an encryption
> of the data portion of the IP packets (leaving the header
> alone).

A better approach would be to encrypt the entire IP packets and leave the
framing bytes alone.

But this is what I do:

I use regular unencrypted SLIP (slirp) between here and netcom.
Also install copies of slirp in all your other unix accounts, plus your
favorite session encryption daemon (deslogin, ctcp, ssh, esm, etc).
Then make some script files like this.  For this example I use deslogin
to establish a secure session with utopia.hacktic.nl.

/root/dialup:

#!/bin/csh
dip /root/netcom.dip
/sbin/agetty 38400 ttyqf -l /root/utopiadeslogin &
dip /root/utopia.dip

/root/utopiadeslogin:

#!/bin/csh
exec /usr/local/bin/deslogin ghio@utopia.hacktic.nl

/root/utopia.dip:

port ptyqf
wait ogin: 60
send anything\n
wait d: 5
send password\n
wait ] 5
send \n
send exec slirp-0.9o/src/slirp\n
get $rmtip 10.0.2.42
get $locip 10.0.2.16
mode CSLIP

Add to /etc/hosts:

10.0.2.42       utopia-secure

Then I can do: telnet utopia-secure
and everything is encrypted.

I got deslogin from utopia's anon-ftp dir.
A 3DES version would be nice tho.

When you want to hangup, use this to kill all of the dip processes:

#!/bin/csh
ps -ua|grep " pQf "|awk '{print "kill " $2}'|csh
ps -ua|grep " pS1 "|awk '{print "kill " $2}'|csh

To do this for more hosts, just pick any available IP addresses
in 10.0.2.x and a free tty (ttyq* are usually unused).

Thread