1995-09-25 - Re: Persistent Services Needed

Header Data

From: “David J. Bianco” <bianco@itribe.net>
To: “Erik E. Fair” (Time Keeper) <fair@clock.org>
Message Hash: e2a5beeab816138b4bd37c9726c952d5d646a6a689e3b3e17b0e8a86be278cc9
Message ID: <199509251905.PAA28033@gatekeeper.itribe.net>
Reply To: <v02110102ac8c96b652cf@[204.179.132.9]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-25 19:08:53 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 12:08:53 PDT

Raw message

From: "David J. Bianco" <bianco@itribe.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 12:08:53 PDT
To: "Erik E. Fair"  (Time Keeper) <fair@clock.org>
Subject: Re: Persistent Services Needed

On Sep 25, 10:36, "Erik E. Fair"  (Time Keeper) sent the following to the
NSA's mail archives:
> Subject: Re: Persistent Services Needed
|| One way to establish persistent services is to use the DNS for
|| indirection:
|| register a name for a service (or a set of services), which then point
|| servers of those services by a DNS name. If the service needs to move
|| (hosts, net connections, etc), the only thing that changes is the
|| DNS zone file and the references to the service through the name stay
|| exactly the same. Hell, if your service requires no state information
|| or can have replicated data (e.g. DNS, FTP, WWW), you can use "round
|| robin" techniques with very low DNS RR TTL's to spread the service
|| load over a bunch of widely distributed hosts.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I've always kinda wondered why there wasn't
a cypherpunks.org or something.  It'd certainly make it easier for folks to
find us...

David J. Bianco			| Web Wonders, Online Oddities, Cool Stuff
iTribe, Inc.			| Phone: (804) 446-9060 Fax: (804) 446-9061
Suite 1700, World Trade Center	| email: <bianco@itribe.net>
Norfolk, VA 23510		| URL  : http://www.itribe.net/~bianco/

Thread