1995-09-16 - Re: laptop passwords

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e6e7d77e44ce3f887daa15db1547fac1005bbe46e887a83ad9bd37793fb156d5
Message ID: <199509160645.XAA29809@desiree.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Sep 95 23:45:55 PDT

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 95 23:45:55 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: laptop passwords

At 01:22 PM 9/15/95 -0800, you wrote:
>I've got a dilema.
>        2 laptops that I just purchased at a police auction have passwords,
>from what I can tell they are passworded at the cmos level. I would normaly
>just pull out the battery and clear the cmos but these are laptops and I'm
>not to comfortable about doing that.  Any ideas?
>
>laptop1 -  Toshiba Satelite Pro T2400CT
>laptop2 -  Epson Action Note 500 c

I am not familiar with those models, but if they work like a regular AMI
bios, try hitting ctrl-alt-delete at the password prompt.  On many
passworded bios it will get you right past it.  That will at least give you
enough info to see if there is anything worth saving.  (I have no problem
giving out that trick since I have found most bios passwords pretty useless
unless used against the most clueless of users.)

|  Minister of Forced Caffinization in the DNRC   | alano@teleport.com   |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmerman unites all| Disclaimer:          |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!" | Ignore the man       |
|   -- PGP 2.6.2 key available on request --      |  behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano          |       <fnord>        |

Thread