1995-09-14 - Corrections to “Ron Plesser’s take on NIST GAK”

Header Data

From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com, gnu
Message Hash: ec21516a905e9ca0c1f9ee951514e35d3e981c57d1408b9404b8e40887d912fd
Message ID: <9509142018.AA04536@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Sep 95 13:18:14 PDT

Raw message

From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 95 13:18:14 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com, gnu
Subject: Corrections to "Ron Plesser's take on NIST GAK"

There were a few sentences truncated in what I posted yesterday, due
to mistakes on my part.  Here's the corrections.

	John

The Administration policy for 40-bit-key encryption will continue
as-is, and no keys will have to be escrowed for such systems.  Mr.
Nelson said that the government's main concern is that strong
encryption products not be available in the mass market.

bi-lateral agreements with friendly nations.  In a presentation, Bob
Holleyman of the Business Software Alliance criticized the
Administration's failure to "liberalize export controls on generally
available software employing non-key escrow encryption."  Also, he
stated that the Administration's proposal and the draft criteria
"continue to reflect a misunderstanding of the market place and, if
implemented in anything like their current form, will prevent key
escrow encryption from ever being commercially adopted."  Mr.
Holleyman recommended a number of features for a marketable system,
including a variety of encryption algorithms using at least 64-bit
keys and user specification of a key holder.

Thread