1995-09-12 - Re: Netscape to patch shareware version

Header Data

From: anon-remailer@utopia.hacktic.nl (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f563c2a4958ad6c2c735328fca1220f3ee81dcb307305ca2d706fb678335fd62
Message ID: <199509122100.XAA13066@utopia.hacktic.nl>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 14:00:35 PDT

Raw message

From: anon-remailer@utopia.hacktic.nl (Anonymous)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 14:00:35 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netscape to patch shareware version

>| Netscape said it received word last week that the State Department had
>| cleared that version for release on the Net, but only within the U.S.,
>| owing to current export laws banning the export of encryption schemes
>| stronger than 40 bits.  THe company could provide no details by press
>| time on how it would ensure that the 128-bit version wouldn't leak beyond
>| U.S. borders.
>
>Ok, any bet on how long it will take?

It's already been exported.  Evidently, one of those who bought the commercial version sent it to Europe as soon as it was out.

I note the site removed it, however, probably because Netscape Comm. Inc. requested that they do so.  Netscape generally objects to anyone else carrying their browser (.edu sites with prior permission excepted).

Thread