1995-10-25 - Re: Quick commercial package question

Header Data

From: Marshall Clow <mclow@coyote.csusm.edu>
To: tbyfield@panix.com (t byfield)
Message Hash: 0a0cc09ad8ce6fb825b9e3bceca4d583c37951f68bb05cb5fc95936b767cf092
Message ID: <v03003705acb381e70ed9@[204.250.84.3]>
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 22:58:44 PDT

Raw message

From: Marshall Clow <mclow@coyote.csusm.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 22:58:44 PDT
To: tbyfield@panix.com (t byfield)
Subject: Re: Quick commercial package question

>At 12:34 PM 10/25/95, Jonathon Fletcher wrote:
>>Just a brief question.
>>
>>  There's a compression/archiving package on the Mac call Stuffit. It
>
>        <...>
>
>>from the US (or so I thought) so it can't be DES. Is it (down) on a level
>>with the MS Word or Wordperfect ciphers, or is it a little better ? How
>>far should I trust it ?
>
>        Not at all. Take a look at:
>
>        http://www.uccs.edu/~abusby/mac_u-g/RemoveIt.sit.bin

Ted --

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I wasn't aware of any cracking
program for Stuffit archives. If you know of any others, please let me
know.

I just finished trying this one, though. It doesn't work.

Here's a some background on Stuffit archives:
There have been three different formats for Stuffit files over the past 8
(has it really been 8?) years.

1)   Version 1.5.1. The original
2)   Version 2.0    Short lived. No longer used.
3)   Version 3.0    The Current version. First shipped in 1992 (I think)

The crack described at the above URL does not work for 1.5.1 archives.
It also does not work for 3.0 archives.
I don't have any 2.0 archives handy, but I will test them in the morning.

It is possible that the cracking technique described at the above URL will
work for 2.0 archives. However, none of Aladdin's shipping software will
generate 2.0 archives, and Aladdin supplies a (free) converter from 1.5.1
and 2.0 archives to 3.0 archives. (They get smaller when converted, too!)

-- Marshall
Aladdin Systems, maker of Stuffit Deluxe, etc.

Disclaimer:  There is no way that this could possibly be considered an
official statement of Aladdin Systems.

Marshall Clow
Aladdin Systems
mclow@coyote.csusm.edu
Warning: Objects in calendar are closer than they appear.

Thread