1995-10-26 - Let’s Not Merge Mailing Lists, OK?

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1aeb0a7e7421fb197c0369d83e1a07c106a97a53cb1b1ac899b9d157bd97aa33
Message ID: <acb4444702021004b728@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 19:55:34 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 19:55:34 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com

There's been an upsurge in "cross-mailed" messages, with Cypherpunks copied
on "www-buy-blah-blah," and vice versa, and Cypherpunks copied on the
growing number of lobbyist lists (EPIC, EFF, etc.). A lot of this is not
new, but some of the cross-posts between our list and the various "Net
commerce" and like groups are causing debates to blur.

This message drove it home for me:

Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com

Let's think out loud here for a minute...  I am sending this to Cypherpunks to
see if someone out there has already thought of a solution to this.

Alice wants to get a file from Bob and wants to pay him $1 using some Digital
Cash scheme.

- Do we want Alice's identity to remain Anonymous (and Bob's too)? (Note that
  this means that neither party knows who the other really is.  They could be
  using aliases to conceal their real identity.)

... rest of speculations about crypto elided....

----end excerpt----

I don't know if "ali@eit.COM (Ali Bahreman)" is subscribed to the
Cypherpunks list or not. From the nature of his comments, I suspect not.

There is great danger in constantly "casting the net wider," in trying to
reach more and more people. I understand the temptation for some on both
lists to cross-post some messages. I urge that they do this, as Bob H. has
done on occasion, by personally forwarding the message, with only _one_ of
the lists getting it. (This because the real danger is as above, where
multiple lists are in the recipient or cc: fields, and followups semi-spam
multiple lists.)

Clearly we cannot have our list used to educate others on other lists. Or,
rather, I'm finding it hard enough to stay on top of a list with 1200+
subscribers. Adding people from other lists, at varying levels of
competence in areas we think important, will simply be too much.

For me, at least.

For now, I plan to filter out stuff that gets echoed over from www-buy, as
I can't keep track of their conversations as well as our own.

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.