1995-10-04 - Re: Netscape hole without .Xauthority (fwd)

Header Data

From: Michael J Gebis <gebis@ecn.purdue.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1c8c69181731ca3392aff4c930ad7d42bbe51b48c7d99a5619d11bd4fe604409
Message ID: <199510041611.LAA20818@purcell.ecn.purdue.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 09:11:38 PDT

Raw message

From: Michael J Gebis <gebis@ecn.purdue.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 09:11:38 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netscape hole without .Xauthority (fwd)

Robert Owen Thomas wrote:
> more and more, networks are becoming flooded with X traffic.  although X
> has always been known to be a potential security hole, i think X-attacks
> are going to increase dramatically in the coming months.
>
> i commonly hear of sights with Xauthority enabled, only to have the user
> community type "xhost +" at the prompt.  bad karma.  the days of pumping
> rude & crass noises to someone else's workstation will soon graduate to
> more nefarious and insidious attacks.
>
> is anyone looking into a means of securing X (above and beyond the current
> weak solutions)?

I have not used it for this purpose, but ssh claims to do "Secure X11
sessions."

Actually, I'm interested in what the cypherpunks think of ssh in
general; I'm not able to do a strong analysis of the code myself.  If
it does everything it claims to do, it's a very powerful tool;
however, I don't know of any in-depth studies of ssh security.

--
Mike Gebis  gebis@ecn.purdue.edu

Thread