1995-10-14 - Re: Anguilla Cypherpunks Meeting

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: s1018954@aix2.uottawa.ca
Message Hash: 1e3d70736ed149205ff983a3831eb5a3db0afb36fe430ba1e5cb6b39cda48c27
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951013234946.9707B-100000@panix.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9510131114.A70910-0100000@aix2.uottawa.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-14 03:58:57 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 20:58:57 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 20:58:57 PDT
To: s1018954@aix2.uottawa.ca
Subject: Re: Anguilla Cypherpunks Meeting

On Fri, 13 Oct 1995 s1018954@aix2.uottawa.ca wrote:

> Really? I thought except for incomes taxes, US laws only apply in American
> territory as opposed to applying to American people wherever they are (as
> I heard Germany's does).

The US has frequently tried to reach citizens anywhere in the world.
Thus when private ownership of gold was banned in the US in the '30s, the
regs outlawed possession of gold by Americans anywhere on earth.

Likewise, when the Feds proposed federal licensing of space launch
vehicles a few years ago, they proposed outlawing unlicensed space
launches by Americans anywhere on earth.

Obviously, nuclear technology was controlled so that it was illegal for
Americans who had nuclear skills to work in nuclear power plants in
certain countries.

Such laws and regulations usually apply to US citizens (whether resident
or not) and non-citizens who are US residents.

> What if you were a dual citizen (US/Canada in my case)?

Dual citizens are bound by the laws of both countries.

DCF

Thread