1995-10-10 - Re: Crypto’s Role in Evil?

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2dc2b094580c5af87e1d355d008f0447416f4314c3c2a946ef7fdb59332002f2
Message ID: <ac9f30750f02100475a0@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 20:10:40 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 20:10:40 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Crypto's Role in Evil?

At 2:24 AM 10/10/95, Rob L wrote:
>> > We mustn't forget that, until very recently, strong, widespread
>> > privacy has been humanity's "default" condition.
>>
>> Not much privacy in village or tribal life.  Even neighborhoods of
>> earlier cities weren't very private.  Neighbors always knew your business.
>>

>Big difference is that your neighbors were usually looking out for you..
>not waiting to catch you doing something wrong..
>Even in the small town I live in, there is considerable privacy even
>though everyone knows everyone else.. people tend to keep their noses out
>of others business.. of course, if you offer to talk, then its fair game
>for the side of the road interrogations <g>

Ah, a very astute comment!

Indeed, my chief concern--speaking for myself--is not hiding my activities
from my neighbors, who, by the way, share my distaste for high taxes, big
government, etc., but in ensuring that the various enforcement agencies are
not aware of my activities.

(And even then, my concern is a bit abstract, as I'm not--take my word--a
pot grower, a money launderer, an arms dealer, or a terrorist. I have
violated some laws about obtaining necessary permits, such as the ones
needed to run a computer consulting firm in one's home, but I don't fear a
pre-dawn raid by the jack-booted thugs over this.)

Priuacy is mostly needed to protect against the government, or those who
inform to the government, because it is manifestly the government that
throws people in jail for doing "illegal" things, not one's neighbors.

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.