1995-10-27 - Re: newsweek oct 30 Levy digital cash article

Header Data

From: Steven Levy <steven@echonyc.com>
To: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 42cb5f62209eb43880fb1cf4a1b688b0f82e2d68240a1837959a249a8ed0ee3b
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.951026180246.16411E-100000@echonyc>
Reply To: <199510262050.NAA00978@netcom23.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-27 02:57:50 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 10:57:50 +0800

Raw message

From: Steven Levy <steven@echonyc.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 10:57:50 +0800
To: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: newsweek oct 30 Levy digital cash article

>also, my question about whether one loses the downloaded Chaumian bucks
if one's hard drive crashes was answered in the affirmative by Levy.

But as I said, if the drive is backed up you don't lose it. It's my
understanding this is the case with the current Digicash/Twain bucks.
But not necessarily with all implementations.

This "lose your money" with digital cash really does seem to get to
people. I always point out that when you take $ out of an ATM machine,
you don't expect to get it back if you lose it.  For those forms of
e-money that are irretrevable when lost users are warned not to download
huge amounts.

Question: will people's worries about losing their e-money lead them to
accept a higher degree of tracibility as a tradeoff?

Steven

Thread