1995-10-31 - RE: This PROMISes to be odius

Header Data

From: nobody@c2.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 496faa4b264c3aedadf3f673f3c033feb424f6f6b7e9fe0ec6df3d65088454bc
Message ID: <199510311823.KAA17396@infinity.c2.org>
Raw Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 03:33:40 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@c2.org
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 03:33:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: This PROMISes to be odius

>PR   10/18 0809  ORACLE INTRODUCES SOFTWARE TOOL FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT

Oracle should shange it's corporate motto to:
"Oracle, bringing Big Brother to life" or
something similar. The problem with this sort of
software is that it is virtually made to be abused.

It is very, very obvious that the profit motive and
the reassurances of LEO's have totaly blinded any
shred of ethics the corporation might have once
entertained.

My reaction to this is simple. In the 70's, it was
acceptible reasoning for computer professionals to
not work in certain sectors of the industry because
they didn't want to be a part of the "military industrial
complex".

The 90's version of that is simply not to buy products
from vendors who engage in unacceptible practices.
Oracle clearly falls in this latter catagory.

I had been looking very strongly at specifying a
DB made by one of Oracles competition due to experience
with it's nightmarish installation procedures, but this
pretty much clinches the deal where nothing else would.

The funny thing here is that since this is just a current
sale, and since there's allready plenty of technical
reasons to look at competing products, I'd bet even
money that over a relativly short amount of time
I can offset ALL of the sales for this odious LEO
product alone.

I would encourage others to do the same.

Thread